Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda-2.4.3b4 and tar exclude lists working?

2002-09-05 09:21:34
Subject: Re: Amanda-2.4.3b4 and tar exclude lists working?
From: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
To: Jean-Louis Martineau <martinea AT iro.umontreal DOT ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 09:10:16 -0400
Bonjour Jean-Louis,

* Jean-Louis Martineau (martinea AT IRO.UMontreal DOT CA) [20020904 20:21] thus
spake:
> Hi Jean-Francois,
>
> The relative "exclude list" works for me.
>
> Could you send me all the log files for an amcheck and amdump run?
>   amandad.*.debug
>   selfcheck.*.debug
>   selfcheck.*.exclude
>   sendsize.*.debug
>   sendsize.*.exclude
>   sendbackup.*.debug
>   sendbackup.*.exclude
>   runtar.*.exclude
>
> The *.exclude files should be a copy of your .amanda-gnutar-exclude-list.txt?
> Tar should be called with "--exclude-from" followed by the path of
> the corresponding *.exclude file.
>
> You upgrade the client and server to 2.4.3b4?

well, I'm ashamed of myself! I sifted through all the debug files (not
an easy task as this host is both a client from another amanda server
and its own server. Don't ask me why, it's a long story. Yes, I made
sure that the amanda service ports do not collide in the 2
configurations by using --with-testing=blah ...)

Anyways, turns out that I got bitten yet again by the exclude list
syntax! Quiz: what is the difference between the following entries in
an exclude list?

1 ./foo
2 ./foo/
3 ./foo/*

case 1 directory ./foo won't be in the backup image
case 2 matches nothing (that was my mistake)
case 3 directory ./foo will be in the backup image but nothing below it.

Works now. I feel so silly!

Thanks for the help to Frank and Jean-Louis.

One day I'll write a blurb on my setup: STK L40 jukebox with 4 LTO
Ultrium tape drives accessed concurrently, one Ecrix 15 slots VXA tape
library and a few measly DLT tape drives. I think I'm around 5TB taken
care of by Amanda. I'm about to ditch my last propriatery backup
software (NetWorker) driving an ADIC library with DLTs...

You guys are doing an outstanding job!
Thanks again,

jf

--
Thought to justify wrong doings, and speech to conceal thoughts.