Amanda-Users

Re: Amanda-2.4.3b4 and tar exclude lists working?

2002-09-03 13:01:41
Subject: Re: Amanda-2.4.3b4 and tar exclude lists working?
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Jean-Francois Malouin <Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 11:47:08 -0500
--On Tuesday, September 03, 2002 11:41:29 -0400 Jean-Francois Malouin
<Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca> wrote:

* Frank Smith (fsmith AT hoovers DOT com) [20020903 11:18] thus spake:
--On Tuesday, September 03, 2002 10:10:18 -0400 Jean-Francois Malouin
<Jean-Francois.Malouin AT bic.mni.mcgill DOT ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed and configured amanda-2.4.3b4-20020829 on a Linux box
> with an ecrix tape library and I might be stumbling on some bug and/or
> feature: relative path exclude list don't seem to be used at all...
>
> Perusing in the posts for 2.4.3b4 announcement from Jean-Louis I see
> that this version is supposed to have this fixed... Is this really the
> case? I can provide debug files on demand.

Do you have an exclude list properly defined in your dumptype?
Are you using tar?
Is the exclude list file in the top level of the directory you're trying
to back up and is it in the correct format?

I've been using amanda for a few years now and I'm fully aware of all
the quirks in setting up exclude lists. I have 3 other servers running
2.4.2p2 with relative exclude lists with tape libraries (exb-200,
adic-218 and stk-L40) with no problems whatsoever. For this one, I
decided to jump ahead with 2.4.3b4...maybe I'll go back to 2.4.2p2.

Anyways, yes, I'm using tar (GNU tar) 1.13.19.

Here are the dumptypes from amanda.conf:

---
amanda.conf
---

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    index yes
    record yes
}

define dumptype root-tar {
    global
    program "GNUTAR"
    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
    compress none
    priority low
}

define dumptype high-tar-raid-epilepsy {
    root-tar
    comment "partitions dumped with tar"
    priority high
    exclude list ".amanda-gnutar-exclude-list.txt"
}

---
disklist entry
---

blade /raid/epilepsy high-tar-raid-epilepsy

---
On the host blade (amanda server and client) I created a file called
/raid/epilepsy/.amanda-gnutar-exclude-list.txt:

[root@blade]# cd /raid/epilepsy/
[root@blade]# ls -la .amanda-gnutar-exclude-list.txt
-rw-------    1 amanda   disk          123 Sep  2 08:18
.amanda-gnutar-exclude-list.txt

---
exclude file
---

[root@blade]# cat .amanda-gnutar-exclude-list.txt
./diffusion/
./extra-TLE/
./F_MRI/
./MRI_misc/
./MT/
./neda/
./PREVIOUS/
./relaxo/
./restore/
./samson/
./thalamus/
./TLE/

Yes, it looks like you have it set up correctly, maybe it is a 2.4.3b4
thing (I'm still running 2.4.2p2).  What issues are you seeing with
the latest version?

Unrelated question:
Doesn't the trailing slash on your exclude list entries mean that only
those directories themselves are skipped and not any subdirectories?
I leave off the slash to prune the directory tree at that point, and
can't think of too many uses for excluding a directory while backing
up its subdirectories.  Or possibly my idea of exclude syntax is off.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com
Systems Administrator                                     Voice: 512-374-4673
Hoover's Online                                             Fax: 512-374-4501