Amanda-Users

Re: [SAGE-AU] Amanda users

2002-09-04 13:19:06
Subject: Re: [SAGE-AU] Amanda users
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:57:19 -0400
On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 09:02:57AM -0300, Doug Meredith wrote:
> Noel,
>
> > I am experimenting with Amanda on our database servers and have discovered
> > that we backing up our databases is proving to be a challenge using
> Amanda.
> > Specifically, we need to be able to run some pre/post script before/after
> > backing up certain filesystems within a backup session e.g.
>
> We have the same requirement.  What I am going to try (someone on this list
> suggested this a few weeks ago) is to create a wrapper for the tar command.
> The wrapper will look at the file system being backed up and do the
> appropriate pre and post actions as well as invoke the real tar command.
> The trick then is to get Amanda to use my wrapper.  My understanding is that
> there are "configure" options that can be used to accomplish this.
>
> Anyone actually done this?  Know what the configure options are?

        --with-rundump=<path>           # someone confirm this one
        --with-gnutar=<path>

As amanda puts some supporting programs like chg-mtx, in a "libexec" directory,
I generally start out with copies of the real dump and real gnutar in that
directory and use the above options to point amanda to them.  Later I can
substitute the wrappers in the same location.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)