Amanda-Users

Re: question (simple)

2002-09-04 14:16:02
Subject: Re: question (simple)
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:59:37 -0400
On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 07:59:52AM -0400, Galen Johnson wrote:
> I'm reading the article on backupcentral regarding Amanda and was
> wondering what the progress was on the "Future Capabilities" is.  I have
> snipped the text (hope they don't mind)

I may be in error here (I'm still using 2.4.2) of the 3 capabilities you list,
the only one implemented is the "file driver" to save to non-tape media.

> In addition to the usual enhancements and fixes constantly being added
> by the AMANDA Core Development Team,

I would love to be wrong, but I believe that amanda development
is basically stagnant at this time.  Freeware projects like amanda
need capable champions who are energetic, enthusiastic, and have
time to contribute.  Over time, other demands drain their free time.
If new champions don't jump in, contributing their time and energy,
the project stagnates.

In NO WAY do I mean the above as criticism of the revered contributors
to amanda.  I tremendously admire and appreciate what their efforts
have made available to me.  Amanda has saved my butt more than once.

My first contact with amanda probably coincided with the writing of
the book UNIX Backup and Recovery from which the referenced chapter
was excerpted.  At that time there was a very active team involved
in the transition from an incompatible release to the 2.4 line of
releases and on the incremental enhancements we know like 2.4.1,
2.4.2, and the soon to be released 2.4.3.  And they were working
on a vision of the future that I think was to be 2.5.  Most of
those "Future Capabilities" were a part of that unrealized vision.

Alas interest and/or time withered for some members of the team.
Early this year I asked about the team and was told it was essentially
down to three; T Hepper (mostly involved with chg-scsi), J-L Martineau,
and JR Jackson.  I think the intervening months has further eroded
their valuable time.

I'm sure the "Amanda Core Development Team" would welcome a fresh
infusion of energetic, enthusiastic members.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)