Amanda-Users

Re: Questions about bumpsize, frustration

2002-08-26 18:44:45
Subject: Re: Questions about bumpsize, frustration
From: Dietmar Goldbeck <dietmar.goldbeck AT acm DOT org>
To: "Brashers, Bart -- MFG, Inc." <Bart.Brashers AT mfgenv DOT com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 00:33:38 +0200
On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 02:56:54PM -0600, Brashers, Bart -- MFG, Inc. wrote:

> I did this because people were constantly forgetting to chmod files they
> created.  Setting umask to 002 would also make files they create in their
> own home directories (/home/user) public, which is not right.  I don't know
> of a way to set umask to 022 for some directories and not for others.  The
> man page for chmod doesn't list a switch like --preserve-ctimes.

You can use something like

find . -type d ! -perm 777 -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 777
find . -type f ! -perm 666 -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 777

and only change necessary permissions. Probably needs GNU findutils

AFAIK GNUtar uses ctime, because ctime is the only timestamp
which cannot be set backwards.

  Ciao
     Dietmar
--
 Alles Gute / best wishes
     Dietmar Goldbeck                E-Mail: dietmar.goldbeck AT acm DOT org