Amanda-Users

Re: Questions about bumpsize, frustration

2002-08-25 02:59:13
Subject: Re: Questions about bumpsize, frustration
From: Dietmar Goldbeck <dietmar.goldbeck AT acm DOT org>
To: "Brashers, Bart -- MFG, Inc." <Bart.Brashers AT mfgenv DOT com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 08:34:42 +0200
On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 12:19:10AM -0600, Brashers, Bart -- MFG, Inc. wrote:

> I'll do some experimenting next week, and get back to the group.  I'm still
> stumped, but now at least I have company...

There is one general problem with GNUtar and incrementals:
The unix ctime must not change. Otherwise you get just this result
incrementals being full backups.

The typical reason for changing ctimes is GNUtar running
with --atime-preserve option. You might check your runtar debug
files for this option and verify
with

ls -al --time=ctime <some important file or directory which has'nt changed>

that you ctime are correct.
Please also check (and perhaps mail here) the output of

amadmin <your config> version

Some older versions of Amanda had a configure option
--with-gnutar-atime-preserver (unsure about spelling) which is
incompatible with GNUtar and incrementals.

   Ciao
        Dietmar

--
 Alles Gute / best wishes
     Dietmar Goldbeck                E-Mail: dietmar.goldbeck AT acm DOT org