Amanda-Users

RE: Questions about bumpsize, frustration

2002-08-24 02:35:16
Subject: RE: Questions about bumpsize, frustration
From: "Brashers, Bart -- MFG, Inc." <Bart.Brashers AT mfgenv DOT com>
To: "Amanda Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:19:10 -0600
> After looking more closely, I'm even more confused.  Your gnutar-lists
> files are being updated correctly, the big number on the first line is
> Unix time, so your files were done at
> level 4 - Wed Aug 21 23:45:48 2002 CDT
> level 3 - Fri Aug 16 09:58:17 2002 CDT
> level 2 - Thu Aug 15 11:27:54 2002 CDT
> level 1 - Wed Aug 14 11:45:40 2002 CDT
>
> which means that your tar is not working as advertised.  Just to
> satisfy my curiosity, is the tar Amanda is using the version you
> think (1.13.19)?  According to the sendsize.*.debug file you posted
> earlier, Amanda is calling /bin/gtar, so run '/bin/gtar --version'
> to make sure that's the one you think it is.

[~]% /bin/gtar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.19
This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute it under the terms of the GNU General Public License;
see the file named COPYING for details.
Written by John Gilmore and Jay Fenlason.

Looks like the right version...

> You might also try experimenting
> on a smaller directory using the same command line Amanda is using
> (in sendsize debug) changing the gnutar-lists file, and play around
> to see if it always returns the full size of the directory.  Also
> consider asking on the gnu.utils.bug newsgroup.

I'll do some experimenting next week, and get back to the group.  I'm still
stumped, but now at least I have company...

Bart
---
Bart Brashers                           MFG Inc.
Air Quality Meteorologist               19203 36th Ave W Suite 101
bart.brashers AT mfgenv DOT com            Lynnwood WA 98036-5707
http://www.mfgenv.com                   425.921.4000 Fax: 425.921.4040