ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Server 7.1.4 woes

2016-04-29 10:10:54
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM Server 7.1.4 woes
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 10:08:59 -0400
Hi Rainer,

I understand... when I first read of this issue, I too was suspicious. But
once I reproduced it and noted the client fix, it made sense. All I can
think of at this time is that maybe previous restores were no query
restores, or QUIET was enabled (maybe in a client option set on the server,
if not in dsm.sys or dsm.opt).

However we can explore this further if someone can demonstrate differing
behavior between a 7.1 server and a 6.x server. For example:

1. Point a 6.1.0.0 client to a 6.x server, then back up a file to tape.
Next, make sure that the QUIET option is not configured (check dsm.opt,
dsm.sys, client option set on server); and try to restore the file. Is the
restore successful? It is important that the restore be a classic restore
operation, e.g., restore of an individual file. If the restore is not
successful, try it again, but this time specify the QUIET option.

2. Now point the same client to the 7.1 server, and repeat the exact same
backup and restore test(s) as in step 1. Is the behavior any different?

3. Upgrade the client to 6.1.5.0 and try the restores again, from both 6.x
and 7.1 servers. Do the restores work, even when QUIET is not in effect? If
yes, then this is all attributable to the same code bug and subsequent fix
I referred to earlier (IC70650).

Best regards,

Andy

Andrew Raibeck | IBM Spectrum Protect Level 3 | storman AT us.ibm DOT com

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager links:
Product support:
https://www.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/product/tivoli/tivoli_storage_manager

Online documentation:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7/landing/welcome_ssgsg7.html

Product Wiki:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home/wiki/Tivoli%20Storage%20Manager

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2016-04-29
07:55:33: