ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 Installation Problems

2009-06-08 13:06:26
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 Installation Problems
From: Colin Dawson <colind AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:04:27 -0700
Howdy,

     For the backup processing of the TSM server database, the model as
implemented for TSM V6 was done in order to preserve behavior and the
automation or scheduling that may already be built around this...

      The development team is fully aware of the fact that DB Backup using
a single session/process model may become less viable as the server
database size increases.  We expect that TSM will need to deliver
enhancements to the database backup processing in order to adequately
protect the server in a timely manner...  Some of the requirements or
enhancement requests that may be considered in this area:

1) Volume stacking - this is a long standing market requirement to allow
for incremental database backups to be stacked on the same volume as other
incremental backups of the FULL database backup.  This way large capacity
tape cartridges can be better utilized and such.

2) Parallel database backup streams.  Essentially allow the backup to run
using multiple inbound sessions to the server and multiple concurrent
output volumes.  This is the divide and conquer approach basically carving
the server database up into more streams so that the time needed to do this
backup is reduced.  Note that this works against or in competition with #1
above and the volume stacking - as this item will likely require more
output volumes to be available for use.

3) Snapshot backup of the server database where appropriate device snapshot
capabilities are available and can be exploited for this purpose.  TSM
certainly has these capabilities and knowledge as we do so already using
our Advanced Copy Services and Copy Services products.  This is a matter of
orchestrating and managing this appropriately from the TSM server.

The items listed above are possible solutions or enhancements that would
improve or mitigate database backup/restore issues that a large TSM V6
server database may encounter either now or in the future...  While this is
not a commitment to deliver these items now or in the future the main take
away here is that we understand the need for improvements in this area...

Thanks,
Colin
Colin Dawson
TSM Server Development