ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 Installation Problems

2009-06-05 16:49:11
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM 6.1 Installation Problems
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 16:47:41 -0400
>> On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 13:20:24 -0700, "Clark, Robert A" <Robert.Clark AT
>> PROVIDENCE DOT ORG> said:

> May I infer then that you have no nodes running recent versions of
> windows server?

You may.  My TSM servers run on AIX, all the way.  I'll include only
by reference my long-term antipathy towards MS products.  The price
advantage is gradually making me (whiningly) approach running on
linux.  But there'll be a -lot- of whining on the way. :)

> I realize that it take two to tango, and MS has become prodigious at
> shitting the bed with broken WMI writers, SNP bugs, setting the
> default VSS provider to whatever a third party product installed
> last and providing no way to change it, etc. But I have Windows
> admins that want to mass defect back to the 5.3 client as they have
> the abiding perception that anything later is crap.

Hmm.  You're talking clients, here.  I've got loads of windows
_clients_, (of course).

> They also complain bitterly of an ASR/BMR restore process that
> Machiavelli, Kafka, or Stanslaw Lem would be proud of, and install
> BESR.  <Filesx/FastBack?>

Is that TSM's fault?  My sense (as an observer) is that ASR is a huge
delicate pile of frozen offal.  BMR is hard under the best of
circumstances, and MS has no motiviation to make life easy for IBM.

When folks want BMR, I tell them to go find a product that does BMR.
Back up their ghost server or something.

- Allen S. Rout