ADSM-L

Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit TSM server?

2006-09-18 10:40:05
Subject: Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit TSM server?
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:38:32 -0400
We are considering moving our server from AIX to another unix OS
(probably Linux).  I was hoping that we could just restore a backup
of our DB to a Linux server and have it point to the same tapes.  But
the initial feedback I've gotten indicates that this is not
supported.  No one has told me that it won't work, just that it's not
supported.  Given how long it would take to export/import all of our
(archive) data, this leaves us with some difficult choices.  It sure
would be nice if TSM had a supported way of doing this more
efficiently than export/import.

The other problem with export/import is that all of our clients would
then have to change their config files to point to the new
server.  If we could simply restore the DB onto the new server, that
new server could inherit the same hostname and port numbers as the
old server, making the whole server migration transparent to our
hundreds of end users.