ADSM-L

Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit TSM server?

2006-09-18 14:23:18
Subject: Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit TSM server?
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:24:12 -0400
While I'm not sure, I think the problem is deeper than just the database.
It might also be
byte ordering and other issues with you data on tape.  In other words, even
if IBM
came up with a way to export/import the db to a different type of server
(which they
could . . . .Oracle did it), it might still require a conversion of the
data on all your tapes.

             Paul Zarnowski
             <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit
                                       TSM server?

             09/18/2006 12:18
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Thanks Victoria.

Ok, so now I know it won't work (in addition to not being supported).

Next questions:
  1. How hard would it be for IBM to do something to help users do this?
  2. How many TSM sites would actually want to do this?
  I.e., is there reason to submit a requirement for this, or are we just
        trying to do something that not many folks ever want to do?

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521
719 Rhodes Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853-3801    Em: psz1 AT cornell DOT edu

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.