ADSM-L

Compression

1998-04-08 08:52:23
Subject: Compression
From: Fred Krefting <Krefting.Fred AT PRINCIPAL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 07:52:23 -0500
We are running 3.x server on MVS and 3.x UNIX clients. I do compression
on all my clients (AIX and SUN) and see better throughput, but yes the cpu is
much busier.  The clients are connected to a 16Mb Token Ring.
              I did run into a problem when testing a bare metal restore to
an AIX system.  I restored over 24500 files and 3 failed to restore due to the
following error: "ANS4032E Error processing 'filename' :file is not
compressed".  The documentation says this is a system error.  We called IBM
and they said it is a bug and should be fixed in May 1998.  Fortunately I had
a CYA backup on tape before I tested the restore and was able to retrieve the
files from it.  I was able to get an earlier version of one of the files from
ADSM but when trying the others had no luck.