ADSM-L

Compression

1998-04-08 11:10:45
Subject: Compression
From: Fred Krefting <Krefting.Fred AT PRINCIPAL DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:10:45 -0500
This is a repost of a bounced reply.

We are running 3.x server on MVS and 3.x UNIX clients. I do
compression on all my clients (AIX and SUN) and see better
 throughput, but yes the cpu is busier.  The clients are
connected to a 16Mb Token Ring. I did run into a problem
when testing a bare metal restore to an AIX system.  I
restored over 24500 files and 3 failed to restore due to
the following error: "ANS4032E Error processing 'filename'
:file is not compressed".  The documentation says this is
a system error.  We called IBM and they said it is a bug
and should be fixed in May 1998.  Fortunately I had a CYA
backup on tape before I tested the restore and was able to
retrieve the files from it.  I was able to get an earlier
version of one of the files from ADSM but when trying the
others had no luck.