ADSM-L

Re: Compression

1998-04-08 12:08:56
Subject: Re: Compression
From: Eric van Loon <evanloon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 16:08:56 +-200
Hi Rob,
I haven't encountered problems related to compression yet.
My view is that there are three considerations before using compression on the
client:
1) If the client has enough processing power you can use compression. wouldn't
recommend it for 286, 386 or 486 clients if it's not absolutely necessary.
2) If your network speed is high enough I shouldn't use compression. It can
slow down your backups. You should test this in your environment. Just take a
large file and backup it twice, once with compression=yes and once with
compression=no and measure the elapse time. My experience is that one should
use compression over a 4 Mb. Token-Ring network an one should turn of
compression when using 16 Mb. Token-Ring, 100 Mb. Fast Ethernet or equivalent
networks.
Because decompressing files is less CPU consuming restoring compressed files
over a slow network will probably be faster than restoring uncompressed files
over a faster network. Again, you should test this.
3) If your do not compress files you server's primary storage pool will much
sooner be filled. You will also probably use more tapes, unless you have a tape
unit which uses hardware compression (like 3490, 3495, Magstar or Magstar MP
units).
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon