ADSM-L

Re: Compression

1998-04-17 13:26:39
Subject: Re: Compression
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 13:26:39 -0400
At 07:52 AM 4/8/98 -0500, Fred Krefting wrote:
>We are running 3.x server on MVS and 3.x UNIX clients. I do compression
>on all my clients (AIX and SUN) and see better throughput, but yes the cpu is
>much busier.  The clients are connected to a 16Mb Token Ring.

I have seen a few comments that a backup done without compression may run
faster than a backup done with compression.  I'm sure this is probably true
if the network and server are not heavily loaded.  The advantage to doing
compression on the client is that the aggregate load on the network and
server is reduced.  It should be the case that the aggregate throughput
across many clients will be greater if client compression is used than if
no compression is used (or tape compression is used instead).

If your environment does not include a large number of clients doing
simultaneous backups, then client compression would not help you to reduce
contention for network or server CPU resources.

We force compression on for all of our clients for the above reasons.

..Paul