TSM Client 6.2.2 and vStorage API

Data center name has to be correct some times user mistaken it as cluster name. Please note this is different. Also note that Data Center name has to be Cap sensitive.

I have tried this restore even to a different datastore it was working fine via the GUI and CLI for full VM restore.

About crashing client: Client will crash if you have ethernet ports connected to VMware distributed switch. It will be fixed.

I is perhaps due to the level of our TSM Server which is at v5.5.1.0.

But via the command line both backup types , filelevel and fullvm with vstor are OK ... ;-)

About crashing client: Client will crash if you have ethernet ports connected to VMware distributed switch. It will be fixed.
do you have any APAR Number, or IBM Website concerning this?

Thanks

APAR IC74021 has been opened. See following document and apply fixing level, when available.

IC74021: VIRTUAL MACHINE FULLVM BACKUP MAY CRASH WHEN CONFIGURED WITH A VMWARE DISTRIBUTED VIRTUAL SWITCH PORT

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/entdocview.wss?uid=swg1IC74021

In our experience not every machine configured to use distributed virtual switch ports cause TSM to crash. We have a mixture of machines using distributed virtual switch ports that succeeded and some that fail. The configuration of the NIC card does appear to contribute to the crash. We've found several more instances where a crash can occur. Multiple NIC cards can contribute to a crash. The ordering of devices in the VM configuration can attribute to a crash, such as the ordering of disks in the config file. Generally TSM crashing is an abnormal event and doesn't generate any TSM failure messages. The TSM client simply stops working and displays a stack trace and a crash dump file is created.

With TSM Client 6.2.3 we can now make a backup via GUI (vmfulltyp=vstor) !!!

All ESX Hosts from the corresponding VC are displayed and you can choose the VM Guest to be backuped. :up:

And next week we will test the restore via GUI ...

restore from GUI was already supporting it should work only disappointment is u have to type out the datastore name rather than choose from GUI

Hello guys,

When I trying to restore the VM from the BA Client GUI, I'm getting the error "ANS14165E Creating a Virtual Machine, but the hostname "" was not found"

btw, if I'm going to restore to other location, what should I fill in the "NAME:","DATACENTER:" , "HOST:" , "DATASTORE:".

thanks,

u need to fil in exactly the name of ththe datacenter for ur vsphere setup, the name of the vm, the esx for host to restore to, the datastore u want to place the VM.

Please note cap sensitive

I am already fill in with all the setting that i found in the vsphere. But still end up by the same error.

is the VM name the same as you have backup?

try using the same name and cap sensitive.

hello tanwk3,

I tried using the same vm that been backup.
I seems like the error the tdp not found the ESX host while trying to create the VM.
But i have no problem when backup.
Correct me if i wrong

zack as i do not have a setup at the moment are u able to post the restore screentshot?

are u able to specify the host to restore to? what version of baclient are u using and also what is ur settings in ba client for vm backup

I'm currently having the same problem as Zack. I can do a mount of a backed up volume, but cannot do a restore through the b/a GUI.

I'll let the board know if I get anywhere with this.

I used the command like and did NOT give it a datacenter name and it started to work, but then I got (from dsmerror.log) a string of the following errors:

08/12/2011 13:11:34 ANS9365E VMware vStorage API error.
TSM function name : vddksdkWrite
TSM file : vmvddksdk.cpp (2271)
API return code : 16000
API error message : One of the parameters supplied is invalid
08/12/2011 13:11:34 ANS0361I DIAG: ANS1111I VmRestoreExtent(): VixDiskLib_Write FAILURE startSector=2560 sectorSize=512 byteOffset=1310720, rc=-1
08/12/2011 13:11:35 ANS9365E VMware vStorage API error.
TSM function name : vddksdkWrite
TSM file : vmvddksdk.cpp (2271)
API return code : 16000
API error message : One of the parameters supplied is invalid
08/12/2011 13:11:35 ANS0361I DIAG: ANS1111I VmRestoreExtent(): VixDiskLib_Write FAILURE startSector=512 sectorSize=512 byteOffset=262144, rc=-1

I found the solution on the symantec web site. One uses diskpart to make sure the data store you are recovering to is not in read-only mode. See

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125911

Be careful with the various vmware names, 'cause it is VERY fenicky.

I haven't tried the GUI without the datacentre name yet; don't know if it will let me skip fields. But, it's working. (I think. The dsmc output is stuck at 3.07GB, but the I/O monitor shows a lot of activity in the appropriate places.)

It may be too early to say "yeah me".

hi,

i use tsm BA 6.2.1 in vmware server. i have about 90 virtual and 8 ESX server. how do i implement vmware backup using TSM BA client? what that i understand is ESX server need to install the BA client and setup as proxy server where backup is trigle by ESX server. the problem is what is configuration is need to apply on the ESX server (linux)?.

in advance thanks for any suggestion..

Hi,

nothing is installed on the ESX (it used to be done in times of ESX3.0). Today you need WINDOWS server with TSM client (act as a proxy) which has access to the ESX datastore. It can be a virtual machine - but then the trafic goes over LAN.

BEWARE - when zoning the shared storage to be visible by Windows server, you have to disable automatic letter assignment for the new disks in Windows (use diskpart) - or you can corrupt the whole datastore ....

This proxy machine asks vCenter (or the ESX) to create snapshot, then it maps the snapshot to the proxy machine and backs it up.
See the BA client documentation - it is described there very well.

Harry

Back