TSM Client 6.2.2 and vStorage API

Mita201

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone know how to set up TSM BA client to backup vSphere 4.x virtual machines utilizing vStorage API?
It should be supported with TSM BA client 6.2.2 that can be found on IBM ftp today.

Thank you for the nice slides, I saw them (related to VMWare + TSM) but other parts of documents are new for me - nice to have.
I understand how it should work, but I would like to see some more technical documentation for deployment - something like: For the proxy, you need to install that VMware component and this TSM feature; configure it in this manner; query virtual machines this way. Back them up this way, restore.... Open GUI (!?!) and browse virtual machines - yes, that is what I will like to see, a GUI, this product should be for VMWare, not for zVM.
Also I believe it is way different story than VCB.

I have checked this with IBM, so it should be pretty simple:
Proxy can be any win2003/win2008 server, and you need only TSM BA client with VMware backup support installed (part of "custom" TSM BA client installation), and nothing from VMware - everything comes in TSM client.
You set your preferences in preferences tab for vm backup, and that should be it. There is "Backup VM" and "Restore VM" option in Action menu in GUI, and it should work.
I have tried it, it works sometimes - relatively new VMs are backed up without problems, but older, imported VMs, that has been converted, they crashes TSM BA client.
Hope this will be fixed soon.

it seems to be.
just tested a backup and restore of a vm.
even restore to another esx cluster with a different name for the vm.
so far so good.

but
what about change block tracking?
incremental only on filelevel?
and only for windows?

nowhere to find a roadmap on upcoming with DETAILED description.... sad
has anyone of you more information on these topics?

thanks!

CBT works at the moment for backing up only used portion of NTFS volume, but will be used as utility for incremental image backups, which will be additional feature at extra cost.
incremental only on file level works - it is default
yes, only for windows (file level backup, and CBT for what it is used right now)

BTW, I still have the problem, but only on one VMware environment (out of three that I have implemented so far).
I have opened PMR with IBM about the issue.

hmmm. thought id did!

at least after changing the selection to VSTORAGE:

tsm622VStorage.png

and now a BUT from me :)
BUT i dont get an VMWARE FileLevel backup running with vstorage.
when i define it in this view and then go to BACKUP VM i only have the choice to do a FULL Backup :/

Last edited:
TSM 6.2.2 vStorage API

at least after changing the selection to VSTORAGE:

View attachment 504

and now a BUT from me :)
BUT i dont get an VMWARE FileLevel backup running with vstorage.
when i define it in this view and then go to BACKUP VM i only have the choice to do a FULL Backup :/

Have tested the GUI support on full VM backup. For file level command line backup is required.

however I have a problem to recover file level from the proxy server as the administrative guide is not elaborate enough stating myFILEpath is require and no description of what is that.

However to restore I was able to remote into the VM and perform the restore there instead of the proxy server.

Anyone have managed to restore to VM via file level from proxy server?

Hallo All,

File Level Restore is designed, to be done from the VM.
You also do it form the Proxy, accessing the VM Client Node and Copy the Files to the Target, but you will loose the Original File Owner and Pirvileges.

I am not verry Happy with the TSM V-Storage Integration.

Best Regards

Hallo All,

File Level Restore is designed, to be done from the VM.
You also do it form the Proxy, accessing the VM Client Node and Copy the Files to the Target, but you will loose the Original File Owner and Pirvileges.

I am not verry Happy with the TSM V-Storage Integration.

Best Regards

I dun think that is true. Base on ba client 6.2.2 installation guide, u are able to restore file back to the vm directly via proxy server.

The question here is how as information is insufficient provided.

Please see the difference between vmbackuptype=file and vmbackuptype=fullvm.

With vmbackuptype=fullvm, you can Backup and Restore whole VMs (.vmdk, .vmx Files etc) form Proxy via VStorage API.

With vmbackuptype=file, you can incremental Backup Files inside the VM, not the whole VM .... Restore work with normal BA Client Restore Function.

I made successfully a fullvm backup (vstor) and a file level from the proxy but both were only possible via CLI.
Full restore :
Via GUI the fullvm backup is selectable but I get the hourglass for a long time.
Via cli I get the following error message :
[FONT=&quot]Restore function invoked.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ANS9365E VMware vStorage API error.
TSM function name : visdkPrintSOAPError
TSM file : vmvisdk.cpp (885)
API return code : 28
API error message : SOAP 1.1 fault: SOAP-ENV:Client[no subcode]
"Timeout"
Detail: connect failed in tcp_connect()[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ANS1026E The session is rejected: There was a communications protocol error.
ANS1026E The session is rejected: There was a communications protocol error.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]File level restore :[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the proxy I see only the filespaces of the guest and not the files (access another node)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the guest itself where the TSM BA client is installed , I see the backuped files via proxy.
[/FONT]

I made successfully a fullvm backup (vstor) and a file level from the proxy but both were only possible via CLI.
Full restore :
Via GUI the fullvm backup is selectable but I get the hourglass for a long time.
Via cli I get the following error message :
[FONT=&quot]Restore function invoked.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ANS9365E VMware vStorage API error.
TSM function name : visdkPrintSOAPError
TSM file : vmvisdk.cpp (885)
API return code : 28
API error message : SOAP 1.1 fault: SOAP-ENV:Client[no subcode]
"Timeout"
Detail: connect failed in tcp_connect()[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ANS1026E The session is rejected: There was a communications protocol error.
ANS1026E The session is rejected: There was a communications protocol error.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]File level restore :[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the proxy I see only the filespaces of the guest and not the files (access another node)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the guest itself where the TSM BA client is installed , I see the backuped files via proxy.
[/FONT]

How was your proxy server setup? Physical or VM?
Have you enter the information in the preference in the ba client installed on the proxy server?

proxy server = physical
preferences = option file seems OK:

NodeName mbsvcb013

useunicodefilename no

passwordaccess generate
schedlogretention 30
errorlogretention 30
VMBACKDIR "D:\holdingtank"
VMBACKUPTYPE FULLVM
VMCHOST mbsvcb013
VMCUSER MIGROSBASEL\vcbadmin
VMBACKNODELETE NO
VMLIST "mbsvcb013"

VMCPW ****
DOMAIN "\\mbsvcb013\c$"
DOMAIN "\\mbsvcb013\d$"
VMFULLTYPE VSTOR

proxy server = physical
preferences = option file seems OK:

NodeName mbsvcb013

useunicodefilename no

passwordaccess generate
schedlogretention 30
errorlogretention 30
VMBACKDIR "D:\holdingtank"
VMBACKUPTYPE FULLVM
VMCHOST mbsvcb013
VMCUSER MIGROSBASEL\vcbadmin
VMBACKNODELETE NO
VMLIST "mbsvcb013"

VMCPW ****
DOMAIN "\\mbsvcb013\c$"
DOMAIN "\\mbsvcb013\d$"
VMFULLTYPE VSTOR

pardon me are u using vstorage api or vcb? From your opt file it seems u are using VCB.. if so have you install the VCB framework on your proxy server?

If you are not using VCB your preferences setup is wrongly done.

the stanza VMFULLTYPE VSTOR corresponds to vStorage API !!!

the backup via cli was OK and used the vStorage API.
the column TYPE (restore VM in GUI) shows FULL that corresponds to FULLVM Backup via vStorage API(vstor). (When you make a backup with option vmfulltype=vcb the column TYPE shows the following : (VCB)FULL ...

the stanza VMFULLTYPE VSTOR corresponds to vStorage API !!!

the backup via cli was OK and used the vStorage API.
the column TYPE (restore VM in GUI) shows FULL that corresponds to FULLVM Backup via vStorage API(vstor). (When you make a backup with option vmfulltype=vcb the column TYPE shows the following : (VCB)FULL ...

U do not have to specify the VMBACKDIR that is for VCB usage.
VMCHost is either the VC or the ESX/i host
VMLIST are the list of VM you like to back up. This should be available if you are using BA Client 6.2.2

In my opt file is as below for BA client 6.2.2
VC=vc01

-------------------------------------------------
dsm.opt
-------------------------------------------------
commmethod TCPIP
tcpport 1500
tcpserveraddress tsmserver6
passwordaccess generate
nodename client
schedmode prompted

VMBACKUPTYPE FULLVM
VMFULLTYPE VSTOR
VMCHOST vc01
VMCUSER administrator
VMCPW ****

I know but it is the VMFULLTYPE VSTOR which is decisive ...

ok cos base on the error it seems to be a communication error between your vcenter with TSM.

I realize you vcenter is also the proxy server from your setup.

no the proxy is a physical machine and the vCenter is virtualized.
You are right I changed the VMCHOST to point to the vcenter.

Now when I try a restore VM from the GUI in the proxy , I get ANS14166E in both cases : restore destination = original location or = following location
1) restore destination with original location : ANS14166E creating a VM but the datacenter " was not found
2) restore destination with following location : ANS14166E creating a VM but the datacenter xxxx was not found where xxxx is the name of the datacenter in the vCenter where the guest is cataloged.

Back