Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Exagrid

2008-07-30 13:33:56
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Exagrid
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Jim Horalek" <nojava AT netscape DOT com>, "veritas-BU" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:10:39 -0400

Jim Horalek said:
>I think were slamming one vendor prematurely. All these de-dup devices work.

No they don’t!  I’ve tested some that flat out didn’t work, or worked so poorly that I wouldn’t give them to my worst enemy.

>But they are not all the same. They all have different features and solve differnet problems.

>You should test any device first to see if will be of any value in your environment.

Totally agreed.  This is especially true of dedupe. You have to test it with your data before you know how it will perform for you.  Testing it with test data is useless, IMHO.