Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Exagrid

2008-07-30 17:36:29
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Exagrid
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>, "Andrew Stueve" <andrew.stueve AT neovera DOT com>, "veritas-BU" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:25:30 -0400
Again, I think the "extra space required" is a bit of a red herring/FUD thrown
out by the inline guys.  I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I'm saying it's
not as big of a factor as you may have heard AND there are other factors that
affect cost and footprint as well, some of which are in favor of post process
and some of which are in favor of inline.

I don't care HOW you do what I want.  The questions are:

how big is it
how fast is it
how much does it cost

I compare this to the hybrid debate.  Some non-hybrid manufacturers have really
been down on them for a lot of reasons.  Fine, then.  Put up or shut up.  Give
me a car that gives me 60 miles per gallon (or 40 on average in real life) and
I'll shut up.  (I love my Prius.)

Same thing here.

If two systems fit in the same rack, cost the same, have the same speed and
capacity, do you care how they got there?  What if one was significantly faster
or bigger or less expensive than the other.  Do you care how they pulled it
off?   As long as it doesn't change my ability to use it, I certainly don't
care.

Curtis Preston  |  VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies, Inc.

T: +1 760 710 2004 |  C: +1 760 419 5838 |  F: F: +1 760 710 2009
cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com |  www.glasshouse.com
Infrastructure :: Optimized