Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Exagrid

2008-07-30 13:15:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Exagrid
From: Andrew Stueve <andrew.stueve AT neovera DOT com>
To: veritas-BU <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:52:03 -0400
I think that "post process vs. inline" is an important issue.

We evaluated both Netapp and Data Domain, before choosing the Data
Domain solution.   One of reasons was that processing.

Post processing, means if you are writing 4 Tb of data on a weekend
full, you have to have 4 Tb of free disk space to write it all, and then
it will compress down.

In-line, means that as you write that 4 Tb of data, you only have to
have the space for the de-duped/compressed image.

I won't shill for Data Domain, since they don't pay me, but...

-Andrew