Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up Solaris 9 submirrors

2005-08-03 11:43:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up Solaris 9 submirrors
From: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net (Dave Markham)
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:43:17 +0100
Charles Ballowe wrote:

>It backs them up as they are when the backup happens. If you're
>dealing with oracle databases, something should either put the
>database into backup mode or shut it down completely before doing a
>backup. In backup mode, you need to get the archive logs last, and
>should pick up a backup of the control file. ... or use the Oracle
>agent and exclude the database files all together. Other databases
>pose similar problems.
>
>If you do regular restore tests of your databases, you should be more
>than fine with your backup methods - remember that a backup is no good
>unless you can restore from it.
>
>The split mirror backups are a good way in an extremely high
>availability environment to get a cold database backup and minimize
>database downtime - shutdown the database, split the mirror, bring up
>the database and backup the split copy while operations continue as
>normal.
>
>It's far from normal - but it gives people comfort in some environments.
>
>-Charlie
>
>On 8/3/05, Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net> wrote:
>

>>Paul Keating wrote:
>>

>>>You're likely doing "normal" backups, and not trying to backup a split
>>>mirror.
>>>
>>>Some cases when you might backup a split mirror would be if you want to
>>>back up a database, or directory, ensuring youo're getting all files in
>>>sync. You would quiesce any processes using the disk, then split off the
>>>mirror......the database or application would continue running on the
>>>original plex, and you could backup the plex that was split off without
>>>fear of an application tweaking the data during the backup.
>>>
>>>Paul

I back my oracle databases up by putting them into backup mode and
running hot_archives. ( Well the dba does ). On mysql databases i do a
mysqldump and back the files it creates up.

Im concerned about OS files such as libraries (although i assume they
are only being read) and files users may have open.

Admittedly backups occur during the night so the risk of this is small,
i just wondered how it handled open files e.g an open text file, during
backup time.

Cheers
Dave