Networker

Re: [Networker] Why doesn't nsrinfo show me saveset details?

2012-10-10 14:33:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why doesn't nsrinfo show me saveset details?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 13:20:54 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Why doesn't nsrinfo show me saveset details?,...:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need to run a nsrck -L7 -t date
client to rebuild the client indexes even though you've used scanner?

That's incorrect, since scanner -i was already run.

nsrck -L7 works by reloading a copy of the index from tape.  That only
works *if* there's a viable copy of the index for the client in question
on tape.

scanner -i actually reads the contents of the saveset(s) and recreates,
from scratch, index entries, which it inserts into the index.

As the man page for scanner indicates, since NetWorker 6.x, the fastest
way to get a client index back is

        scanner -m
        nsrck -L7 -t whatever clientname

but that will only work if you have the indexes.

scanner -i will work even if you don't have the indexes.

Tim
edu