Networker

Re: [Networker] Why doesn't nsrinfo show me saveset details?

2012-10-15 15:15:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Why doesn't nsrinfo show me saveset details?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 15:15:08 -0400
> Michael, I thought I read somewhere in some older documentation -- and
> I'm going to do an absolutely wretched job explaining this -- but when a

> new server is set up, the old CFIs from the previous server are still
> property of that older server, not the clients, nor the new server. So
> to recover older client indexes backed up by another server, there's a
> somewhat obfuscated procedure that I *recall* having read that outlined
> the solution wherein one wants to be able to recover those later down
> the road to a different backup server than was originally used to back
> them up -- something about the new server forever inheriting those save
> sets (option 1) versus simply seeing the old server as a client (option
> 2). But maybe I'm confusing that with a case wherein one only wants to
> recover the local data (non indexes) backed up by the previous server?
> In other words, only the data that gets backed up when the server backs
> itself up? But if by chance it's a matter of inheritance on those
> indexes then this gets into issues of assigning the same clientid of the

> old server to the new server. Or some *other* workaround, and that's
> where my memory is very vague. Is it possible that this is the issue? Or

> is it instead the case that if this had been the culprit then your
> procedures would not have run period as opposed to running but simply
> not producing the desired results?

I have done the recommended procedure - cretae a new client with the sme
client id that is on the tape; scan into the media db; run report showing
order of the volumes involved in the saveset I want; then scan again using
"scanner -i -S <ssid>". And then change the browse, retention, and
expiration dates. And those savesets are still browsable.

> Regardless, I will be very curious to see what the magic pill is that
> resolves this or what the hangup was that caused everything to go awry.
> But let's be clear. You're not saying that your procedures overtly
> failed or produced any error messages or warnings, correct? In other
> words, you had no reason to believe that anything didn't work correctly
> until you noticed later that you were unable to browse the CFI for the
> information that should have been rebuilt by the scanner command and
> added to the CFI, right? You did check the logs to see if any unusual
> messages were issued aside from what you could see on the CLI?

Exactly.

What *may* have happened is that those CFIs were removed by the command
that removes the oldest NW indexes (I'm really rushed right now, so I
can't check the exact command). But if that command was run, then it's
possible that these would have been one of the indexes removed, as these
would have been one of the oldest indexes.

> Just a related question here: what if you're scanning a whole tape, and
> there's spanning save sets, but they don't all continue onto the same
> subsequent tapes? What does one do in that case? You have to break it
> down by individual save sets?

Scanner is supposed to be smart enough to see the ssid being scanned, and
match it with the ssid it finds in the media db, and therefore just add
the incoming info to the saveset.

I think.

:-)