Networker

Re: [Networker] Q about a storage node for restore only

2009-11-18 14:20:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Q about a storage node for restore only
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:17:44 -0500
On 11/18/09 12:47 PM, MIchael Leone wrote:
I've never configured a storage node with a tape drive before, only AFTD devices. I installed the client software, specifiying storage node, and my NW 7.4.5 server recognized it as a storage node. But how do I define and configure a storage node with a tape drive? I have to be able to tell the Networker server that the storage node has a tape drive. And I'm confused on how to create that device. Do I make an entry "rd=clientname:\\tape0"? when I create that device?

Yes, you would name the device "rd=storagenode_name:\\tape0" (if \\tape0 is what you would call the device if the storagenode were your nsrserverhost. ... I use linux systems, and I have one or two tape drives on most of my storage nodes... so, I use /dev/nst0 and /dev/nst1 as the device name -- so rd=<system>:<device> becomes rd=storage_node1.uvm.edu:/dev/nst0 as an example.

And when I do a restore, how do I specify that I want the recover to run from this storage node?

You don't do it via the recover command... You do it by configuring which storage node should be referenced first in the client definition or by limiting which devices specific media pools can be mounted on.

Sorry if these same like simple questions.

Don't be sorry -- we've all asked questions that seemed simple to someone that was more experienced in that area of NetWorker.