Networker

Re: [Networker] Q about a storage node for restore only

2009-11-18 14:34:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Q about a storage node for restore only
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:33:22 -0500
Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT uvm DOT edu> wrote on 11/18/2009 02:17:44 PM:

> On 11/18/09 12:47 PM, MIchael Leone wrote:
> > I've never configured a storage node with a tape drive before, only
AFTD
> > devices. I installed the client software, specifiying storage node,
and my
> > NW 7.4.5 server recognized it as a storage node. But how do I define
and
> > configure a storage node with a tape drive?  I have to be able to tell
the
> > Networker server that the storage node has a tape drive.  And I'm
confused
> > on how to create that device. Do I make an entry
"rd=clientname:\\tape0"?
> > when I create that device?
> >

> Yes, you would name the device "rd=storagenode_name:\\tape0"  (if
> \\tape0 is what you  would call the device if the storagenode were your
> nsrserverhost. ... I use linux systems, and I have one or two tape
> drives on most of my storage nodes... so, I use /dev/nst0 and /dev/nst1
> as the device name -- so rd=<system>:<device> becomes
> rd=storage_node1.uvm.edu:/dev/nst0 as an example.

Yeah, that worked. Actually, I went into the Storage Nodes section of the
Devices tab of NMC; told that client to scan for new devices. It found
that tape. Then, under the "Devices" section of the "Devices" tab, I saw
the tape there. Clicking on it, it told me it wasn't configured, and did I
want to configure it. I said "Sure!", and it did it all for me, exactly as
you describe.

> > And when I do a restore, how do I specify that I want the recover to
run
> > from this storage node?
> >

> You don't do it via the recover command... You do it by configuring
> which storage node should be referenced first in the client definition
> or by limiting which devices specific media pools can be mounted on.

I added that client under "Recover Storage Nodes". I don't want to add
that tape device to the pools, because I don't want anything backing up
onto it. This is a recover only storage node (and, as such, I don't need a
license for it .. I am told).

> > Sorry if these same like simple questions.
> >

> Don't be sorry -- we've all asked questions that seemed simple to
> someone that was more experienced in that area of NetWorker.

Thanks. We'll see how a recover goes. I'll put the tape I want in that
drive, go to the client I want to recover onto, and see if it all Just
Works ...

Thanks