Networker

Re: [Networker] inqure & jbconfig not working in Solaris 9/10

2007-05-29 23:21:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] inqure & jbconfig not working in Solaris 9/10
From: Barton <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 20:18:42 -0700
Ran into the Solaris 10 issue myself... you are correct the lus driver is not
supported in Solaris 10 (uses sgen only) See the full emc bulletin below. I did
a variation on what the bulletin suggests (there are errors in it, ex cannot
use mt on sgen device)  Here's what worked for me

# update_drv -f sgen
# devfsadm -c tape

This creates the /dev/scsi/changer link. Then I used jbconfig to autoconfigure
a standard scsi jukebox

Hope it helps
Dave

EMC Technical Bulletin
420: The inquire Command Does Not Display Devices on Solaris 10
Purpose

This bulletin describes methods to identify and locate libraries and drives on
Solaris 10.
Products

The following products and environments are affected by this problem:

    * Solaris 10
    * NetWorker 7.2.1 and 7.3
    * ADIC Scaler i2000 Library
    * LUS Driver not supported in NetWorker 7.2.1 and 7.3
    * LUS Driver not supported in Solaris 10

Description

This bulletin provides methods to identify the:

    * Path of each library
    * Number of drives in the library
    * Path to which each drive in the library is mapped
    * Location of the control port address of the library
    * Procedure to configure the library

Solution

To obtain the information that the inquire command does not provide on Solaris
10, perform the following steps:

   1.

      Login as root
   2.

      Use the devfsadm command to find the path for each library.
   3.

      Use the mt command with the path to display each drive in the library.
For
example:

      ./mt -f /dev/scsi/changer/c5t0d0 status

      Output similar to the following is displayed:

      Storage Changer /dev/scsi/changer/c5t0d0 : x Drives, sss Slots

      Where x is the number of the drives.
   4.

      Use the following ls commands to find the path for each drive in the
library. For example:

      ls -la /dev/scsi/sequential/*

      Output similar to the following is displayed:

      /dev/scsi/sequential/c5t0d1 ->
../../../devices/pci@1d,4000/fibre-channel@4/sgen@0,1:sequential

      ls -la /dev/rmt/0cbn

      Output similar to the following is displayed:

      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root other 65 Jan 22 2006 0cbn -> ../../devices/
pci@1d,4000/fibre-channel@4/sgen@0,1:cbn
   5.

      Use the ls command to find the port address of the library. For example:

      ls -la /dev/scsi/changer/

      Output similar to the following is displayed:

      lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 61 Nov 7 09:30 c5t0d0 -> ../../..

      /devices/pci@1d,4000/fibre-channel@4/sgen@0,0:changer
   6.

      Use the jbconfig program to configure the library:

         1. Select option 4.

         2. Enter the control port address when prompted. For example:

            /dev/scsi/changer/c5t0d0

         3. Enter the drive path when prompted. For example:

            /dev/rmt/0cbn

      Publishing History
      First published: 02/21/2006
      Author: cb