ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Restore backupset

2008-09-12 15:33:30
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Restore backupset
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 15:31:13 -0400
-----Sam Sheppard wrote: -----

>We have a Solaris server on which we generated a backupset from the
>backups created from the Solaris client on the same box. The
>backupset was created on 3592 tape in a 3494 library.
>
>When attempting to restore the backupset from -loc=tape we specify
>
>RESTORE BACKUPSET "/dev/rmt/1st" -loc=tape
>
>and we receive the following message:
>
>ANS1933E Error accessing file or device '/dev/rmt/1st'
>
>Is it possible to restore a backupset from a device in a 3494 or must
>it be a standalone drive?  Would this possibly work if the TSM server
>on the box was shutdown?

We have done this kind of restore using a 3590 tape drive, a 3494
library, and TSM client software running under mainframe Linux. We
used the mtlib command to mount the appropriate tape before
executing the 'restore backupset' command.

Our restore was in fact done with the TSM server down. However, we
have used IBM utilities to update the microcode on TSM tape drives
while TSM was running. Before running the utility on a tape drive
we would update the TSM defininitions for the drive and its path to
'online=no'. When the utility was done we put the drive and path
online to TSM again. I suspect that varying a drive and path offline
to TSM would be sufficient to make the drive available for server-
less 'restore backupset' commands.