ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] TSM - NDMP - NAS - Clarifications needed

2008-09-19 11:16:55
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] TSM - NDMP - NAS - Clarifications needed
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:15:41 -0400
Hi Muthu,

I have an EMC NS704G and back it up using NDMP protocol to a TSM server on
AIX 5.3 at the 5.3.5.2 release.  I utilize LTO2 media and they are housed
in an SL8500 library.  I can answer your questions, but please remember
that the amount of data you can back up per hour depends on the speeds of
the drives you have purchased.

1. How much data I can backup using NDMP per hour - Assume we have 4
dedicated
tape drives?  I back up 100 GB/hr. with LTO2 drives.
2. Can I snap the content and start the backup if I use NetApp appliance?
This is possible on the Celerra, not sure about NetApp.
3. Can I do incremental backup using NDMP?  Yes.
4. How can I perform file level restore using NDMP?  With TSM & Celerra,
you must create a table of contents in order to do a file level restore.
You can also do it from the command line, but syntax would have to be 100%
correct and how often do you know the exact name & syntax of data that
needs restored?

If you have any other questions, just let me know.

Thanks!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems, Storage Mngt Analyst III
Phone Number: (717)302-9966
Fax: (717) 302-9826
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

"Muthukumar Kannaiyan" <mkannaiyan AT WORLDBANK DOT ORG>
09/19/2008 10:54 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
TSM - NDMP - NAS - Clarifications needed

Hi All,
      We are planning to implement Documentum in our environment. We will
be
using either Celera or NetApp for contents. We are planning to use TSM
along
with NDMP for content backup. Is anyone have the similar setup. I have
following
questions.

1. How much data I can backup using NDMP per hour - Assume we have 4
dedicated
tape drives?
2. Can I snap the content and start the backup if I use NetApp appliance?
3. Can I do incremental backup using NDMP?
4. How can I perform file level restore using NDMP?

      Thanks in advance ...

Thanks & Regards
Muthu
202-458-8340 - Work