ADSM-L

Re: How to access TDP for Exchange GUI from remote PC

2002-10-20 21:24:32
Subject: Re: How to access TDP for Exchange GUI from remote PC
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:01:50 -0400
>> From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf
>> Of
>> Villegas, Beatrice
>> We have installed TDP for Exchange in one of our Exchange servers and
the
>> Administrator wants to be able to access the GUI for TDP from his PC to
be
>> able to do backups/restores remotely.
>>
>> We normally use for the NT side of it the TSM Web Client and we
>> are looking for something similar to that for TDP.

>----------
> Install TDP for Exchange on the admin's desktop. When you run the GUI,
>change the command from
>        <drive:>\<directory_tree>\tdpexc.exe
>with
>        <drive:>\<directory_tree>\tdpexc.exe /excserver
=<name_of_exchange_server>

>Note that <name_of_exchange_server> is the name of the exchange service,
>*not* the name of the server that is running Exchange.
>
>Granted this is not like a web-based GUI that can be run from anywhere.
Such
>a beast does not currently exist.

This will probably work but doing it this way will
send your data on a double network hop.

Exchange Server------>Admin Machine------>TSM Server machine

as opposed to:

Exchange Server------>TSM Server machine

In addition, it is not supported by IBM.
One of the TDP for Exchange requirements is
that you run the TDP for Exchange client on the
machine that the Exchange server is on.

At this stage, using a remote access product
is the best way to solve this problem today.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.