ADSM-L

Re: Transaction Log Restores

2002-10-20 21:24:31
Subject: Re: Transaction Log Restores
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:54:49 -0400
> I have a problem with a TDP Domino restore, we have a hole in our
> transaction logs from some that were copied off the disk at a time when
> the log disk was full.  At the time I thought I'd taken an archive before
> the logs were removed (positive in fact) but now when I look the logs
> aren't shown.  We have taken a full backup of the client since and still
> have the logs that were copied to another disk.
> Question is, can I still archive these log files so they can be applied
> the previous backup?

Marc,

No.  You cannot. That is because Domino no longer "tracks" them.
The Domino Server tells TDP for Domino which logs to archive.
So, if it is asking for logs AFTER those "copied off" logs,
then it will not go back and ask for the older logs.

If the Domino server is not asking for those logs to be archived,
then you probably archived them already... or...
the Domino Server may have gotten confused and out of sync
when you copied them off the device and it could not find them.

You can take a look at the TSM Server activity log to see if they
were ever archived.  TDP for Domino will log each transaction log
that it backs up.  That way you can tell if it was backed up.

Did you also run an "INACTIVE" query to see if they
have been forced to inactive mode by the
INACTIVATELOGS command?

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.