ADSM-L

Re: Squishing the unused space out of my ADSM database

1999-05-24 03:43:11
Subject: Re: Squishing the unused space out of my ADSM database
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 08:43:11 +0100
Hi Trevor, Brian,

I would be a bit cautious on the expected outcome of a smaller database
when using the dump/load DB.  There is a very strong possibility that
the database will end up bigger than you started with!  I can't explain
this in full detail but it is to do with the way records are packed into
DB pages when the load occurs, and space is left in pages for later
expansion.

I think Trevor is right with the time factor ... it would take
significantly longer (and then you might have to do the restore DB as
well to get back to what you are now).

I think there is a need for a tool for optimising and reclaiming space
in the ADSM DB and IBM should be encouraged to produce such a tool.

Regards, Sheelagh
Sheelagh Treweek             Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek             Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275