ADSM-L

Re: Squishing the unused space out of my ADSM database

1999-05-24 06:28:04
Subject: Re: Squishing the unused space out of my ADSM database
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:28:04 +0100
Brian,

>Even if it meant that I had to create new empty db volumes and move the
>active pages into them, that would be fine. How difficult is it to
>identify the database pages which have "stuff" in them vs the ones that
>don't, and then how difficult is it to move those good pages in a nice
>orderly fashion into brand new shiney db vols?  Or for that matter, how
>difficult is it to reorganize those pages internal to the exisiting
>database volumes?  Just start at the far end of the database and
>reintegrate any active pages back into the empty holes at the front end
of
>the database.

I think the point is that you have already removed all the empty pages
and the probelem is on making better use of the partially occupied
pages.  When you look at the "Maximum reduction" that is the empty
pages; when you study the %used and "used pages" that indicates the
spread of information over partially occupied pages. When you do a
restore db the DB is restored exactly as it was on disk at the time of
the backup db; when you do a loaddb it puts information into the db as
it thinks best and leaves space in pages for later normal use - i.e. it
doesn't fill up pages as it goes.

Regards, Sheelagh
Sheelagh Treweek             Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Sheelagh Treweek             Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275