nv-l

Re: [nv-l] NV 713 and MIBs to find inactive ports in Cisco Switches.

2003-01-07 09:17:12
Subject: Re: [nv-l] NV 713 and MIBs to find inactive ports in Cisco Switches.
From: "Jeffrey G. Fitzwater" <jfitz AT Princeton DOT EDU>
To: Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 09:17:12 -0500
Jane Curry wrote:

> Mithun,
> The application you have on the Web Console only requires the switch to
> support the dot1dBridge MIB (RFC 1493).
> Cheers,
> Jane
>
> Mithun Prakash Prabhu wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > I have installed Netview ver 7.1.3, I have discovered some Cisco 4006
> > switches via the server discovery. Now I wanted to know what MIB you
> > need to load in order to find out the INACTIVE ports in a cisco
> > switch. Ie those ports where its either not been used or been disabled.
> >
> > Also when I open the NV Web console using a login id and password I
> > see there a view inactive ports in a network device option, which
> > gives me no values. I have some cisco MIBs downloaded but don?t know
> > which one?s will help me. Please can any one let me know the same.
> >
> > Thanks in Advance.
> >
> > /*/Regards,/*/
> >
> > /*/Mithun Prabhu /*/*/
> > /*

> >For additional commands, e-mail: nv-l-help AT lists.tivoli DOT com
> >
> >*NOTE*
> >This is not an Offical Tivoli Support forum. If you need immediate
> >assistance from Tivoli please call the IBM Tivoli Software Group
> >help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)
> >

> --
> Tivoli Certified Consultant & Instructor
> Skills 1st Limited, 2 Cedar Chase, Taplow, Bucks, SL6 0EU, UK
> Tel: +44 (0)1628 782565
> Copyright (c) 2003 Jane Curry <jane.curry AT skills-1st.co DOT uk>.  All
> rights reserved.

> For additional commands, e-mail: nv-l-help AT lists.tivoli DOT com
>
> *NOTE*
> This is not an Offical Tivoli Support forum. If you need immediate
> assistance from Tivoli please call the IBM Tivoli Software Group
> help line at 1-800-TIVOLI8(848-6548)

I might note that dot1dBridge MIB (RFC 1493) supports COMMUNITY STRING
INDEXING, so
if you are not using vlan 1 you must append @vlanNumber after the community
name in
order to get the mib info from other vlans, otherwise only vlan 1 data will be
retrieved.   Also if you do append the @vlanNumber and you only have vlan 1
then it
will retrieve vlan1 info.   IE.. public@122

Jeff Fitzwater