Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Can NBU 6.5 database be imported into NBU 7 / Upgrade with fresh O/S & NBU install steps

2010-03-24 14:47:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Can NBU 6.5 database be imported into NBU 7 / Upgrade with fresh O/S & NBU install steps
From: Ed Wilts <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:47:10 -0500
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Martin, Jonathan <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com> wrote:

Good point, however I suspect it would work. My testing with 2008 and 2008 R2 shows the OS are similar, with the exception of system state backups (new API by Microsoft required in R2).  If he was going to R2 I suppose you could build a 3rd 2008 server, restore to that and then repeat to get to R2. I guess it depends on how much testing you are willing to commit to make the solution happen.

There's a big difference between "I suspect it would work" and "it's supported by the vendor".  Do you KNOW what will happen if you log a call on your Windows 2008 R2 6.5.x master server?  Are you going to be satisfied with them telling you to downgrade away from R2 or upgrading to NUB 7.0 before they help you?  Is your management happy with "suspect" and "guess"?  I know mine wouldn't be.

   .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org