Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Can NBU 6.5 database be imported into NBU 7 / Upgrade with fresh O/S & NBU install steps

2010-03-24 08:28:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Can NBU 6.5 database be imported into NBU 7 / Upgrade with fresh O/S & NBU install steps
From: Sekhon Simrat S. <SSSekhon AT vscfs DOT com>
To: Glen Vassileff <Glen.Vassileff AT Sun DOT COM>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:25:19 -0400
We are in the same situation. Restoring 6.5.3 catalog in NB 7.0 did not work
for me. I haven't found any documents with the steps to restore 6.5.3 catalog
to NB 7.0.
Our NB 6.5.3 server is actually on Windows 2003 R2 x86.
I have tested the following in the test lab. Keeping the same name for NB
server is important.

1. We were able to install 6.5.3 on a fresh install of Windows 2008 x 86 (same
name as production) and then install NB 6.5.3 on the 2008 server. (Yes you can
install 6.5.3 master/media on win 2008 x86 even though it is not support by
Symantec) 2. Import 6.5.3 catalog from the production server into the test
6.5.3 installed on Windows 2008 x 86.
3. After the catalog import is successful, you will need to upgrade NB 6.5.3 on
Windows 2008 x 86 to NB 7.0 using 7.0 media. Yes NB 7.0 will detect this as an
upgrade and will upgrade 6.5.3 to 7.0.
4. Now you are left with NB 7.0 installed on Windows 2008 x86. You will need to
backup this catalog.
5. Intall Windows 2008 R2 x64 for production. Install a fresh copy of NB 7.0
and restore the catalog you created in the test lab install of Windows 2008 x86.

This has worked for us in test.

Thanks
Simrat