Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Schedule coordination question

2007-08-02 20:44:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Schedule coordination question
From: dbwallis <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 17:29:09 -0700

Darren Dunham wrote:

> Why do you have different start windows?
>
> If the start windows are identical, Netbackup will do what you want.
>
> Or, you can take out a day of incrementals that matches up with the
> fulls so that they don't kick off that day.  Since you're doing weekly
> fulls, that should be pretty easy.

I support a 24x7 research facility, so the start windows are driven by our
operational schedule. 8:00 am Tuesday to 8:00 am Wednesday is a maintenance
period, so I run full backups then to minimize impact on system performacne
during operations. Currently, a full backup can take up to 48 hours to complete
(more drives on order ;) )

Incrimentals must necessarily run while we're in operation, and 6:00 pm to
midnight is typically the period of lowest demand on the servers.

Full and incremental schedules are in the same policy.

Is it necessary for the start windows to match exactly, or is it enough for the
start time of the window to be the same?  Since my full window is currently 24
hours, making the incrimental window the same would cover 24x7