Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Schedule coordination question

2007-08-03 10:33:27
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Schedule coordination question
From: dbwallis <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 07:08:56 -0700

cpreston wrote:

> Ah HAH!  Design rule #2, no matter what I have to do, all backups must
> complete each night/day.  That may sound like stating the obvious, but
> so many of my other design principles come from this assumption.  I
> think your problem is being caused by trying to do everything in one
> night.  (Design rule #1 is that tape drive must be streamed.)
>
> Have you ever considered spreading your fulls out across the month?
> Switch to a monthly full backup, weekly cumulative incremental backup,
> and daily incremental.  That way, you only have to do a full backup of
> 1/28th of your environment, a weekly cumulative of 1/7th of your
> environment, and an incremental of the rest.  This is kind of my
> standard schedule layout.

The full backups are sort of spacing themselves out (my 2 primary file servers
have a total of about 75 file system). However, your point is valid, I'll work
on spreading the full policies out over the 4 weeks.

As for design rule #2, I have some multi-terabyte file systems that take longer
than 24 hours to back up. In fact, depending on what's happening with research,
users can generate more than a terabyte in a day on some of them, which means
incremental backups of those file systems can take more than 24 hours.

cpreston wrote:

> > (more drives on order ;) )
> >

> I'm willing to bet that you don't need all (if any) of those new drives
> to accomplish what you want to do.  You just need to reconfigure your
> backups to properly use the ones you have.  And, of course, there are
> companies that can do that for you... <cough, cough>

Given that we're seeing explosive growth in data storage demands, I'll take all
the drives I can get my hands on.

However, we're trying to get budget to add disk staging, which should reduce
the number of drives needed.