Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed on upgrade and migration of NW 7.6.2 to NW 8

2013-02-27 08:48:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed on upgrade and migration of NW 7.6.2 to NW 8
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 08:47:53 -0500
> SO:
>
> 1. Migrate to new OS and hardware first.
> 2. Wait until everything has been working for a couple weeks or so
(enough
> time for all schedules to have run on the new hardware).

BTW, my boss thinks this is a bit excessive. As he says, why should NW
care what OS it's on, and whether it's 32 or 64bit? The program either
works or it doesn't. Changing from 32bit to 64bit should be No Big Deal.

I can understand that, but I'm still a bit leery. I have done 32-to-64bit
migrations before, but not on the Network Edition, only on the Workgroup
edition (I have 3 remote sites that use the Workgroup edition, with their
own tape drives, rather than those sites being storage nodes. Reason - if
the site can't communicate with the NW server for whatever reason, the job
doesn't run. Being a Workgroup edition, it doesn't depend on conenctivity
with the NW server. Years back, we had somewhat iffy connectivity between
sites, especially after hours, so this made more sense. So we still stick
with it).

Still, as far as I recall, all we did was install NW (server software)
clean, install licenses (since the host name and IP was the same), and do
a mmrecov. And it all Just Worked.