Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed on upgrade and migration of NW 7.6.2 to NW 8

2013-02-26 15:39:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed on upgrade and migration of NW 7.6.2 to NW 8
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 20:38:42 +0000
Hi Michael,

This upgrade is quite a major change. I would keep the old server untouched and
perform a DR procedure on the target followed by an upgrade. That would let you
revert to the old server immediately without having to make any changes on it.

Before doing the DR I would test the new environment using a new install of the
current version with an empty configuration. That will help to test and prepare
the new environment thus avoiding  unexpected glitches during more advanced
stages.

You can bring the services down or 'unplug' one server while working with the
other. The target server can use a dummy name for the blank install and rename
it later,  after the DR, to get the final name linked to the old server,s
client id. You will need to create a client using that client id and the final
name before the DR. Then rename the server from dummy to that name after the
DR.

Before a client is created it has to be possible to resolve it (just adding an
entry on the hosts file on the server). No need to ping or connect to it.

Jee