Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac

2006-12-13 22:09:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac
From: David Magda <dmagda AT EE.RYERSON DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:07:42 -0500
On Dec 13, 2006, at 17:44, Nick Tan wrote:

I put in a request for a FreeBSD client a few years ago.  I was told
that there was no demand for it so it wasn't going to happen.  So I'm
stuck with the old 6.0.2 client for now.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but what is so difficult in porting to another POSIX system?

I've only been admining Legato for a little while, but from the VFS layer most file systems on Unix-like systems look the same. Basic support shouldn't be that difficult to add.

The main thing comes to mind for FreeBSD are the 'flags' that it supports [1], but since those have been around since 4.4BSD (according to the HISTORY section), it's not like it's a new feature. On OS X you'd like to support resource forks, but again, those have been around for quite a while.

Heck, even an "unsupported" version would be helpful to many people. Pondering it a bit, I wonder if it's possible to run the Linux binary in FreeBSD's linuxator [2]. Hmm....

For OS X (brought up in this thread) I would think that tweaking the build environment to generate a "universal" Mach-O binary wouldn't be a huge deal.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=chflags
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=linux