Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac

2006-12-13 17:43:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:31:35 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac, Preston de...:

Hi Eddie,

On 14/12/06 8:01 AM, "Albert Eddie Contractor AFRPA CIO/IT"
<Eddie.Albert AT AFRPA.PENTAGON.AF DOT MIL> wrote:

Preston, I love your posts! They give me a reason to reply to the list!

A power PC client in 7.3.2 before a Mac Intel Client.

All I can tell you is given the release time of the Mac Intel machines,
although it is an emerging technology, the Power PCs have been around
longer and it is quite simply a numbers thing. I am certain there are
"currently" more PPC clients in the Networker world then there are Intel
Mac.

Ah, I think you missed my point.

The Mac OS X PPC client has been around for quite some time, and (admitting
my bias here) being a Mac devotee I've been using it for a couple of years
at least now.

My point was that customers that I talk to find it very galling that at the
same time EMC were not working on an Intel client for Mac OS X, they
released a PPC client for Linux ... i.e., Linux on PPC architecture.

It probably has to do with perceived market share (note: perceived).

Like it or not, some platforms that EMC supports are still "second class
citizens".  Macs didn't even make it into "second class" until EMC finally
released a modern Mac client (apparently it's already been two years,
based on your comment).  Now they are second class citizens -- you should
be happy!  ;-)

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)