Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help with device modes and compression

2006-12-13 21:05:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help with device modes and compression
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 18:03:26 -0800
> Would these two operations be equivalent?:
>
> 1. mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 0
> tar cvf /dev/nst0 /tmp/dir
>
> 2. tar cvf /dev/nst0l /tmp/dir

Probably.  I'm not a linux expert (more Solaris), so the idea of
defining compression with mt surprises me, but it seems consistent.

> Of course, that works for tar, or maybe NetWorker via the CLI wherein
> you're specifying '-f /dev/device_name', but if you wanted, for
> whatever reason, to temporarily use no-compress with NetWorker via the
> GUI instead, then first running the mt command to toggle the
> compression on or off as needed would make more sense because otherwise
> you'd have to reconfigure the jukebox every time you wanted
> to switch back and forth between the stinit.def mode 1 devices
> (/dev/nst#) and the mode 2 devices (/dev/nst#l). That right?

I suppose.  I've never tried to disable compression for networker's use
temporarily.

> Seems it would make more sense if they just made the darn modes 0-3 for
> stinit.def, too, but maybe its akin to a 30 slot tape
> library wherein the library numbers its slots 0-29, and the software
> sees it as 1-30.

Probably written by two different developers at different times.

Solaris also has 4 modes, but the unflagged device is not a separate
mode, it just points at one of the flagged devices based on data in the
st.conf.  Also, the Solaris modes usually run in the other direction (l,
m, h, u/c for low, medium, high, and ultra or compressed).