Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac

2006-12-12 12:43:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:36:23 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] NetWorker on Intel-based Mac, Siobhán Ellis...:

I can give you some insights, and use Solaris 10 as an example.

During the beta for Solaris 10, and ZFS, a beta kit would be available to
the NetWorker development team. However, during beta, things will change and
so they have to re-engineer. So, the choice comes down to, does engineering
spend a lot of resource on something that only a few people will use
initially, or do they spend that resource on other features that more
customers want?

I understand the development tradeoffs, but I'm still frankly skeptical
over the delay.  Yes, interfaces can change even late in a beta, but
they're generally not drastic changes.

Another example that was a big frustration for us was how long it took
to get support for NetWorker running on the 2.6 Linux kernel.  It was
months after 2.6 was available and major distributions were already
shipping with the 2.6 kernel well before NetWorker supported it as a
client.  Server support took even longer.

Yes, important interfaces changed between the 2.4 kernel and the 2.6
kernel, and I'm sure a lot of NetWorker code needed to be #ifdef'ed for
the various interfaces, but it's not like Linus sprung the 2.6 kernel
on an unsuspecting world.  There was a long, public development cycle.

Now, something like Vista, they know, will be used by loads of people. Even
the beta is big. So, they tend to work with that, but only the later RC's
(This is what they've done in the past). I don't know if there is a version
that works with vista at the moment.

However, I see no excuse for MAC OSX in Intel. As far as I know it is just a
recompile. And then, why the hell don't they release a FreeBSD version, as
that is the basis for OSX?

I see one; FreeBSD would be a "new" platform for NetWorker, not an update
to a platform they already claim support for.  They would have to add
another platform to their QA list for every release.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)