Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SPAM: Re: maximum client file size

2015-05-21 12:37:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SPAM: Re: maximum client file size
From: dweimer <dweimer AT dweimer DOT net>
To: Devin Reade <gdr AT gno DOT org>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 11:09:58 -0500
On 05/21/2015 10:23 am, Devin Reade wrote:
> --On Thursday, May 21, 2015 09:06:41 AM +0200 Kern Sibbald
> <kern AT sibbald DOT com> wrote:
>
>> Bacula does keep 64 bit addresses.
>
> Excellent.  Not surprisingly, I'm not dealing with file sizes near
> 2^63,
> but I *do* need to back up files that are in the 2^39 range (from
> filesystems that are in the 2^46 range onto virtual cartridges no
> larger than 2^43).  No, these aren't database files, they're huge
> chunks of write-once data for which we need archival copies.  I'm
> still debating whether Bacula is the right tool for the job in this
> case.  Network-based copies to geographically different locations
> is a non-starter, so it's got to be a variant of sneaker-net.
>
>> On the SD
>> output end, if you do not limit your Volume size, there will surely be
>> some problems at 2^63.  Of course, who would ever want to write such a
>> large volume?
>
> On that note, I've traditionally gone with volume sizes in the ~500MB
> (2^29)
> range (for disk stores), but in this case that can push the volume
> count in the catalog to more than 512k entries once a minimum number
> of offsite copies have been made.  Have you seen installations with
> that
> many volumes?  If so, are there any known issues other than catalog
> tuning?
>
> I'm thinking that a larger volume size (and consequently smaller
> volume count) could be warranted (at least for the full pool), but
> I'm wondering if there have been many that have passed volume
> sizes past 2GB or 4GB and if there have been any issues in doing so.
>
> My gut is saying to go with 2GB volume sizes, but I'm curious.
>
> (Considering that my first hard drive cost me $4000 and was 40MB, all
> the above just sounds crazy.)
>
> Devin

I have three systems two of which are using disk backup, then copy to
tape both of those are running on CentOS with 25G volume sizes with 100
volumes in the disk pool. Going on two years of service for both
machines, haven't had an issue yet.

The third system is using 46G File volumes been running for 4 years
without a problem. This one just does disk only.

I wouldn't worry about Bacula's ability, but more the capabilities of
the file system and operating system its running on. My volume sizes
were chosen to make sure I could handle my desired retention time, too
large of a volume and the last job may take too long to expire allowing
the volume to be recycled, before I run out of other volumes.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer