Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] maximum client file size

2015-05-22 02:04:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] maximum client file size
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Devin Reade <gdr AT gno DOT org>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 08:00:10 +0200
On 21.05.2015 19:11, Devin Reade wrote:
> --On Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:09:58 AM -0500 dweimer <dweimer AT dweimer DOT
> net>
> wrote:
>
>> I have three systems two of which are using disk backup, then copy to
>> tape both of those are running on CentOS with 25G volume sizes [...]
>> The third system is using 46G File volumes
> Thanks.  Good to know.
>
>> I wouldn't worry about Bacula's ability, but more the capabilities of the
>> file system and operating system its running on.
> FreeBSD, ZFS (RAID-Z2) thus large file support, large capacity
> commodity drives, but otherwise enterprise-grade gear.  The
> bottleneck right now is network speeds; we probably need to go to
> 10GbE on the LAN, straight to the workstations.
>
> Believe me, I've been quite happy with Bacula over the years.  This is
> just a case where the data pattern is unusual.  My questions about issues
> was aimed more at second-order effects that might not be obvious in
> smaller installations.  The tradeoff of volume size against number of
> volumes while satisfying retention times is one such.
>
> When I was saying that I'm not sure yet if Bacula is the right tool,
> that was not a reflection on Bacula but on the data. Certainly I will
> be using Bacula for the smaller working set, but the with the largest
> amount of data being write-once, that implies that I'm writing out
> that entire data set every month or two months (whatever the full
> schedule is) indefinitely.
>
> One of the options I'm considering is something like setting up
> pairs of drives in a ZFS mirror in removable drive caddies,
> putting sets of the write-once data on such pairs via rsync or
> some-such, and then making 3 or 4 copies of those pairs of drives
> as the archival copies.  That way, each pair gets written *once*,
> gets put into cold storage, and not touched again (other than
> perhaps running a ZFS scrub on the copies every few years).
>
> The big advantage of that option is that the amount of data that
> needs to be written on a monthly/whatever basis is no more than
> the size of the working set (via Bacula) plus the size of one
> archive pair, rather than the size of the entire data set.
>
> The big down-side of that option is on the data management side;
> the lack of the equivalent of Bacula's catalog and all the
> software behind it.  I've either got to create my own mechanism
> for keeping the catalog of those archive pairs, or find a tool
> that is already made for the purpose.  Maybe CERN has something ...

CERN is using 12 instances of TSM for their administrative data
(enormous).  This could be replaced by 2 instances of Bacula :-)

For their experimental data they are using Casper,which is open source
and published on their web site.  However, for this data they are not
worried about a few losses -- the data arrives so fast it is hard to
capture it all.  I would love to modify Bacula to handle their
experimental data and I have told them so, but for the moment they have
not given me the chance -- it may be too late as I am a bit too old to
take on such a monster project.