Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] maximum client file size

2015-05-21 12:55:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] maximum client file size
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Devin Reade <gdr AT gno DOT org>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 18:50:31 +0200
Hello,

On that note, I've traditionally gone with volume sizes in the ~500MB (2^29)
range (for disk stores), but in this case that can push the volume
count in the catalog to more than 512k entries once a minimum number
of offsite copies have been made.  Have you seen installations with that
many volumes?

Why do you need to use a 500MB volume in size? This days it is like distributing movies on floppies instead of DVD/BR.

It shouldn't be a problem for Bacula, but everything unusual like this could be a performance penalty. Bacula stores information about jobs->volumes mapping in catalog and in most cases single job store one up to a few rows in the table. In your case during restore Director will need to grab all information about where a job was saved and will grab a dozen of rows instead of a few.

What benefit do you want to achieve with 500MB volume size?

  If so, are there any known issues other than catalog tuning?

I'm thinking that a larger volume size (and consequently smaller
volume count) could be warranted (at least for the full pool), but
I'm wondering if there have been many that have passed volume
sizes past 2GB or 4GB and if there have been any issues in doing so.

In all my Bacula deployments (I've made a lot of them) I do not limit a volume size. No matter if it is a tape or file. I do not see any problem with currently available filesystems to handle 100GB or 1TB file. So why do you need to split your job to 500MB chunks?
I see a performance problem when I have 500k files in a single directory instead of 1. With this kind of setup I have about 10k volumes. All is working without a problem.

My gut is saying to go with 2GB volume sizes, but I'm curious.

Are you afraid of large files (volumes)?  - it was a joke :)

(Considering that my first hard drive cost me $4000 and was 40MB, all
the above just sounds crazy.)

Good Old Days - it never come back. I'm a far younger then Kern but I remember a 40MB hard disk drives with a dedicated I/O board.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net