Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Moving from serial jobs to parallel jobs.

2015-05-04 11:01:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Moving from serial jobs to parallel jobs.
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 10:57:49 -0400

On 5/4/2015 10:02 AM, Dan Langille wrote:

On May 4, 2015, at 4:14 AM, Luc Van der Veken <lucvdv AT wimionline DOT com> wrote:

This approach can help too: besides doing them in parallel (limited to 5 concurrent jobs because ultimately it all winds up on the same disks), I also divided them into 4 groups.
>>From the 1st to 4th Friday night each month, a full backup is done of one group and differential of the other three. If there's a fifth Friday, it's differential for all.
I plan to create one device per client.

Then there are a few things to consider regarding pools and organization of volume files. Basically, all volumes used by a client, regardless of pool, must be in the same directory. If the devices for two clients use different directories but the same pool(s), then their devices must have a different MediaType. This is because Bacula will assume that it can load a volume with a particular MediaType into any device having that same MediaType..

As pointed out offline, attribute spooling can be important for parallel (i.e. concurrent) jobs.  The theory being: database access while writing files slows down both processes.

In my case, the database server is on another machine.

I am using only one pool and device for all, just raised 'Maximum Concurrent Jobs' above 1.
That causes interleaving, but on disk that should be no problem.
I'm not sure I want interleaving.

If each client has its own device, then there will never be interleaving unless multiple jobs for the same client are running simultaneously.

Retention is the same for all clients and jobs in my case. If that is not so for you, you may better go for multiple pools/devices.
Everything has the same retention period.

—
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y