Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Moving from serial jobs to parallel jobs.

2015-05-03 11:42:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Moving from serial jobs to parallel jobs.
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 11:36:54 -0400
On 05/03/2015 09:42 AM, Dan Langille wrote:
> I think I'm going to start doing my backups (to disk) in parallel. The
> monthly full backups take *hours*.  They still aren't done, 8 hours later.
>
> I've heard different approaches, but I think a different device for each
> client sounds best.
>All the same pools, but on different devices.  Which also means different
directories.  Should be fun.

Hi Dan...

You can configure multiple file drive devices to use the same directory - and
hence the same volumes as volumes are recycled.

If you try to use different directories for different devices and all of them
using the same pool(s) you will run into problems.  (ask me how I know lol)

In other words, it is safe to define:

Device {
 Name = ClientA_Drv
 ArchiveDevice = /path/to/bacula/volumes
}

Device {
 Name = ClientB_Drv
 ArchiveDevice = /path/to/bacula/volumes
}

This way, when a volume becomes available in a pool, Bacula can freely use it
on any other device.

If you set up a different directory per device, and you are using the same
pools on each device there will come a time when a volume that was written to
by device ClientA_Drv (e.g. in dir /path/to/ClientA_Volumes) will be requested
by device ClientB_Drv which points to /path/to/ClientB_Volumes and it will not
be accessible by that device - until you manually move the file volume into
the correct directory.

An possible option (if you must have different directories per device) is to
use different pools and/or media types as well, but then as your volumes get
used by one device/client they will never become available for other
device/clients - making volume management much more a manual process for you.

P.S. I know you are _very_ experienced with Bacula, so I hope something I said
here is news/helpful to you, and not just static. :)

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC