Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] using different fileset for Base job

2015-04-24 05:48:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] using different fileset for Base job
From: Silver Salonen <silver.salonen AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 12:43:29 +0300
On 04/24/2015 11:14 AM, Eric Bollengier wrote:
> Hello,
>
>>> Indeed, I now confirmed that:
>>>   - I could browse for files for restore after bscanning the Full backup
>>> volume
>>>   - even though I bscanned also Base backup volume these files could not
>>> be restored (still getting "Error: file_create.c:382 Unknown file type
>>> 24; not restored:")
>>>
>>> So it seems that for these pools that Base job volumes end up residing
>>> in, the File Retention parameters needs to be set to "forever".
>>>
>>> It's a bit strange that restores don't consider Base jobs in this case.
>>> Is it because something gets deleted from catalog in a way that it is
>>> not recovered by bscan?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Silver
>> Hi.
>>
>> So any thoughts about Base job and bscan? Shall I submit a bug report?
>>
> The volume doesn't have complete information for Base jobs, so I doubt
> that bscan will ever be able to recover all file records in the catalog
> in such situation. A BSR might be more convenient here as last resort
> solution.
>
> For the File type error, I would advise you to test a recent version, I
> think that it's no longer a restriction in 7.0.x. If not, you can open a
> bug report for that.

I did test it with 7.0.5 at latest. This "restriction" is actually that
the restore does not include the files from Base job although it should.
It also seems that somewhere the information is there because otherwise
it wouldn't even try to restore those files.

> For the retention, I personally always use
>   Volume Retention < File Retention <= Job Retention
>
> Delete File records permit to save catalog space, but has a high cost
> when it's time to restore files. Delete Job records might end up to
> prune volumes before the expected time (Volume Retention + LastWritten).
> As the catalog can contain billions of records, it's usually OK.

Exactly my thoughts. We have the low File Retention period in order to
save space. But now it seems that for jobs that use Base level backups
the File Retention must be at least the same as Volume Retention of a
Base volume.

--
Silver